Akhetaten founded in 1350 BC by the Pharaoh Akhenaten has been recreated by the Egypt Exploration Society Expedition to Tel El Amarna in this webb site to encourage new interest in the city, and assist in interpretation of the ruins. It allows visitors to see parts of the archaeological site as it was at the end of Akhenaten's reign, and has links to research carried on by the society. The images have been created by Redvision based on computer models and drawings by Mallinson Architects (Michael Mallinson with graduates from Cambridge University School of Architecture) and archaeological guidance by Barry Kemp, Director of the EES Expedition, Dr Kate Spence, Fran Weatherhead and other team members of the expedition.

To access parts of the site click on the buildings maked below.

1.City - General Interpretation of the city architecture.

2.Temple - Detailed study of the Small Aten Temple.

3.Palace - Detailed study of the palace beside the Small Temple known as the King's House.

4.House - Detailed study of the House of Thutmosis the sculptor where the famous Head of Nefertiti was found.

5.Animated Film of Amarna - Short clip of the flyover through the city with stills

6. National Geographic - Images of the Temple and Palace Quay



The archaeological site of Tell el-Amarna is ancient Egypt's only visible city. Akhenaten, the 'Heretic Pharaoh', built it around 1350 BCE. His queen, Nefertiti, whose famous sculpture epitomizes classical beauty, ruled with him. The boy-king Tutankhamun was probably born and crowned here. More than three thousand years later what is left of his city is in serious need of preservation. Wind, winter rain, and the relentless spread of modern fields pose increasing threats. The archaeologists who work there, in conjunction with the Supreme Council of Antiquities of Egypt, have conservation and visitor development as parts of their agenda. But funds are limited and more is needed. Anyone who is interested in this fateful period of history can contribute. One scheme, which already exists, is to repair the soft walls of sun-dried mud bricks (adobe) used to build a large part of Amarna, and to replace missing stone elements. This helps to preserve the shapes of the buildings and to make them easier for the general public to understand. The Small Aten Temple and the North Palace are the current projects. Another scheme, designed but not begun, is the construction of an interpretation centre for visitors. By means of videos, sculpture casts, display panels and the City of Amarna Model, which will form the centre of the exhibit, the story of the city will be told as a way of assisting visitors to draw greater benefit from their visit. The agreed site is conveniently and unobtrusively located at the modern tourist quay. In the USA, donations for Amarna can be made to the Amarna Research Foundation, which is linked to the American Friends of Cambridge University. The address of the former is 16082 East Loyola Place, Aurora, CO 80013; email Members receive a twice-yearly newsletter. The address of the latter is PO Box 9123, JAF Building, New York, NY 10087. Currently excavation and conservation at Amarna are done by an expedition of the Egypt Exploration Society, which publishes a regular bulletin and the full technical reports. Its address is 3 Doughty Mews, London¬ WC1N 2PG, Great Britain; email

photographs: Copyright David Grandorge, EES Expedition to Tell El Amarna.

Computer Drawings, films and Models: Copyright Redvision, Mallinson Architects, EES Expedition to Tell El Amarna.

Model: Andrew Ingham Associates.